Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Old Habits make me sick.

I recently made a very bad choice and ate some french fries, I know don't freak out it's true.  I really was turned off by the salt but other than that it was o.k..  Until.............at about midnight my body decided to let me know just how wrong that decision was.  Yup, you guessed it, I was having a prayer session with my porcelain god.  Having gone so long without that kind of food in my system and then putting it back in really was a wake up call.  I was so sick and I think it was a good thing.  Now when I see or smell fries, instead of the usual feeling sorry for myself that I can't have them anymore, I will remember last night and pass them up without a second glance. You know, I really didn't listen to my body very much until I started to take better care of it.  I used to eat all the time and never felt a hunger pain.  My day began and ended with food.  While I was eatting Breakfast I was thinking about what I was going to eat for lunch and dinner.  Now when I get up the first thing in my head is what's on my agenda for the day.  I was so consumed with food, I really was an addict.  I was a prisoner to it day and night.  The thing is, when you quit smoking you simply put them down and never buy them or have them in the home again.  But with food, not so easy, we have to have it to live.  This is why it is so hard for people to make changes with their food. So it's back to little changes.  I don't have 3 meals a day anymore.  I eat Breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack, Dinner, snack.  So the first thing I had to do was to figure out what healthy snacking was.  The snicker bar and soda was not going to work.  The optimal snack equation is about 200 calories, 3 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein and no more than 12 grams of fat.  Let's face it: no one snack is perfect, but some come close.  2 clementines and 7 walnut halves or 1/2 cup of grapes + 1 stick of light mozzarella string cheese is great. If you hate to plan ahead like me, you can keep some east things in the car or at your desk like a Kind peanut butter and strawberry bar or a Luna chocolate dipped coconut bar or any of the great Larabar's out there.  I love lemon myself.  My favorite on the couch watching a movie kind of snack is a banana with 2 tbsp of almond butter and a tbsp of shredded coconut over it. Oh yeah!  Great, now I'm craving my almond butter and I'm out.  Well, sorry people, I must leave and get to the store for some very healthy and tasty almond butter.  Until next time...... 

1 comment: